Marty (Colin Farrell) is a struggling writer who dreams of finishing his screenplay, “Seven Psychopaths”. Billy (Sam Rockwell) is Marty’s best friend, an unemployed actor and part-time dog thief, who wants to help Marty by any means necessary. All he needs is a little focus and inspiration.Hans (Christopher Walken) is Billy’s partner in crime: a religious man with a violent past.
Charlie (Woody Harrelson) is the gangster whose beloved dog Billy and Hans have just stolen. Charlie is unpredictable and extremely violent and wouldn’t think twice about killing anyone or destroying anything associated with the theft. Marty is going to get all the focus and inspiration he needs, just as long as he lives to tell the tale.
Seven Psychopaths is a 2012 comedy film written, co-produced and directed by Martin McDonagh. It stars Colin Farrell, Sam Rockwell, Woody Harrelson, Christopher Walken, and Tom Waits. The film marks the second collaboration between McDonagh and Farrell, following 2008’s In Bruges.On September 7, 2012, Seven Psychopaths had its world premiere at the Toronto International Film Festival, and it was released in the United States and Canada on October 12, 2012, and in the United Kingdom on December 7, 2012.
1. “Jack O’Diamonds,” a killer who targets mid to high level figures of organized crime syndicates. Nicknamed by the media for his habit of leaving a jack of diamonds playing card on each victim.
2. A Quaker whose daughter was murdered. Years later, the killer, after being followed by the Quaker for 11 years, kills himself by slitting his throat in the belief that while he will go to hell, the Quaker will not be there, but the Quaker does the same out of spite. The Quaker survived and is later revealed to be Hans, whose story has been considerably distorted by Billy’s retelling.
3. Charlie Costello, a local crime boss whose dog is taken by Billy as part of a racket he and Hans are running to steal dogs and return them for the reward offered by their owners.
4. A Vietnamese priest (portrayed by Long Nguyen) who has sworn to avenge the death of his family at the My Lai Massacre. This character is an invention of Marty.
5. Zachariah Rigby, who at a young age began to travel the country with Maggie (portrayed by Amanda Mason Warren), an African American girl, to murder serial killers. He carries a pet rabbit and responds to a newspaper ad placed by Billy to attract psychopaths as material for Marty’s screenplay.
6. Maggie, who marries Zachariah but later leaves him after he fails to finish off a killer at the couple’s mercy.
7. Billy Bickle, who kills Charlie’s girlfriend after Charlie kills Hans’ wife. It is also revealed that Billy is actually the Jack O’Diamonds killer.
The first casting announcements were made on May 12, 2011. The film is being made through the production company HanWay. Mickey Rourke dropped out of The Expendables 2 to star in the film. However, he later dropped out of Seven Psychopaths after having disagreements with McDonagh, calling him a “jerk-off”. He was replaced by Woody Harrelson.
Of the incident, McDonagh said “I was fine with it. Mickey’s a great actor […] I’ve known Woody [Harrelson] for years and years, and he was a perfect choice for this, too. He’s got those great dramatic elements, which he’s shown in Rampart recently, and he’s always been a fantastic comedian. You need that in this — someone who can be out-and-out funny, but also turn sinister on a dime.”
Filming was completed late 2011. The first set photos were revealed on November 11, 2011. The North American release date was October 12, 2012.
Directed by: Martin McDonagh
Starring: Colin Farrell, Woody Harrelson, Abbie Cornish, Christopher Walken, Sam Rockwell, Olga Kurylenko, Helena Mattsson, Lindsay Lohan
Screenplay by: Martin McDonagh
Production Design by: David Wasco
Cinematography by: Ben Davis
Film Editing by: Lisa Gunning
Costume Design by: Karen Patch
Set Decoration by: Sandy Reynolds-Wasco
Art Direction by: John Dexter
Music by: Carter Burwell
MPAA Rating: R for strong violence, bloody images, pervasive language, sexuality / nudity and some drug use.
Studio: CBS Films
Release Date: October 12nd, 2012
Related Link: View the Full Production Notes for Seven Psychopats